Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gaming Resolution Update: September

A new standard has been set in my quest for many achievements. My Xbox gamerscore now sits at 106,515; a 6,360 point increase. That's an average of over 200 points a day.

I finished 13 games during the month of September. That's a lot, but they were all new games so it didn't cut down on my backlog at all. My overall average gamerscore rests around 31%. Will I make it to 35% by year's end? I'll probably need to finish more older games to do so. But that's what December is for, right?

Finished Games Summary:

Deus Ex Human Revolution: 520 out of 1000 achievement points. This game was what Alpha Protocol should have been. The two games were quite similar, except AP was a steaming mess, and Deus Ex was great fun. Hopefully they won't wait a decade to make another one.

Madden 12: 415 of 1000 gamerscore. I miss NFL 2k5. Madden has never gotten the concept that people might enjoy the presentation as much as the actual football game. I like things like decorating my crib, creating bizarre uniforms, and watching cheesy sideline interviews. But Madden is too serious for all that, ain't it?

Bodycount: 670 of a possible 1000 gamerpoints. I don't know why this game was made. There seems to be no hook to it. Just endless genericness continuously flying at you on a cheap pulley system. It did have a cool explosive shotgun. And absolutely no one playing the multiplayer, even on the release weekend.

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine: 345 of 1000. Unfortunately, this game doesn't seem made to appeal to people unfamiliar with the franchise. It was okay, and I did like the mix of ranged & melee gameplay. But it needed more choice given to the player, such as upgradeable weapons. And why was there no block or shield? A big badass that just dodge rolls and hides behind stuff?

Dead Island: 780 out of 1000 gamerscore. This is my type of game! I had an amazingly fun time, despite dying constantly in parts. I even played online co-op almost exclusively, with random strangers even... something I don't usually like to do. This is good zombie killing fun, and you're only minimally punished when you die. I would recommend this game to everyone who enjoys bloody violence.

Driver San Francisco: 480 of 1000. Another awesome game. For owning a lot of driving games, I think this is only third one I've ever actually finished. Like Dead Island, I kept wanting to play this game at every opportunity. Why do they release great games on the same day?

Gears of War 3: 410 out of 1000 gamerpoints. I was never big into the franchise, but I can't argue that this is a solid game. I do wish they would have let you choose which characters to bring along on each mission, ala Mass Effect.

Burnout Crash: 55 out of 200 gamerscore, only 27 percent. If the goal of this downloadable release was to make me wish they'd release a new true Burnout game with a Crash Mode, then it worked. Otherwise, is was addictive and enjoyable for a little while. And then I moved on.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two: 420 out of 1000 achievement points. I don't know if they didn't have time to include the random sidequests and crappy stealth missions from Part One, but it's a better game because if it.

X-Men Destiny: 725 of 1000 gamerpoints. Short and lame. The game did itself a disservice by clinging to the X-Men license like a life jacket. If they didn't have a name to sell this game, they might have tried to put some effort into squeezing some quality in someplace.

The Gunstringer: 660 out of 1000. The motion controls are decent, though perhaps they should have used voice commands, since I was yelling "Jump, you idiot!" every time it failed to register the proper motion. There's some funny stuff in there, though. I almost fell over when a member of the studio audience got frightened out of his chair and ran away.

Brink: 560 out of 1250 points, 44%. This is a mess of a game, really. It has a neat parkour movement system, but the level design restricts movements. It is a squad-based objective game, but the AI has out-of-whack priorities. There's something neat in there, but it really needs to be polished.

Vanquish: 410 out of 1000 gamerpoints. This is a fun, stylish shooter with crazy action. Not quite as over-the-top as Platinum Studio's previous game, Bayonetta, but close. They should have had the main characters go "Weeeeeeeeeeeee!" whenever you used the power slide.


I managed to garner just over 51% of the achievement points from these games. A decent standard.

And with these 13 completed games, I have officially surpassed my goal of completed games for this year. I won't stop increasing the count, of course, but it's nice to have actually done finished at least part of what I've started.

I also wrote short reviews of all the games I finished this year. That was unexpected of me, wasn't it? Sure, they're tiny little two-line mini-reviews, but it counts towards the third part of my resolution.

Now all that's left is to keep up the pace for the rest of the year. Yay for games!

No comments: