Thursday, December 1, 2011

Gaming Resolution Update - November

November was not a big month for my gamerscore, which is rather contrary to the number of awesome games that came out. It's all because of Skyrim.

But not a case of burnout, as was the case with L.A. Noire earlier this year. I just want to keep playing and playing and playing Skyrim, despite how slowly the gamerpoints are doled out. Despite investing over 90 hours into the game (the most of any game this year), I have yet to finish the main storyline, or any of the major sidequests. This is not surprising to me, as I never finished the main storyline of Oblivion either, despite putting in over 140 hours before losing my save. But I'm determined to finish the game, and perhaps even gather the full 1000 achievement points, by year's end. A complete Xbox crash may be the only thing to stop me... although Bethesda has been trying their hardest, by releasing a rather broken patch.

I only completed five games this month... only one of those after the release of Skyrim on the 11th. All were brand new games released this month. Did I even play anything older? Not that I recall.

Completed game summary:

Sonic Generations: 525 out of 1000 gamerpoints. I really enjoyed this game, for the most part. Sure, I stuck with 2D Sonic for as much as I was allowed, but even the 3D stages weren't much of a burden. Although, some seemed to go on and on for far too long. A very solid game, and an enjoyable few hours.

NCIS The Game: Full 1000 achievement points. Ugh, why do they make games like this? I'm a big fan of the show, and yet I could hardly stand this dull slog of a game. They couldn't even be bothered to make analog walking controls. All point & click. Very poor showing. And most of the character models didn't resemble the actual actors. And only 2 of the actors from the TV show voiced their characters... and one was only a guest star! A dreadfully dull experience, not even worth the gamerscore.

Goldeneye 007 Reloaded: 285 out of 1000 gamerscore. An enjoyable, yet unnecessary remake of the N64 classic. My major gripe with it is that none of the new actors/character models are very distinct. Remember that big green hat the Russian general wore in the original? Not here. They even cut out the annoying Boris "I am invincible" guy. And they weren't very generous with the achievement points. Most of the ones I did get were for doing ALL the objectives on each level... if not for those, I would only have gotten 55 points! Most achievements are tied into multiplayer, and it's a poor time of year for a list like that.

Modern Warfare 3: 335 of 1000. Due to my normal lack of completing Call of Duty games, and the fact that there was no achievement for completing the game on Normal, I played through the storyline on Casual difficulty. And I enjoyed it quite a bit. Was it because I didn't die so much and have to repeat some many sections? Or was it a more just paced much better than previous games? Probably a bit of both. Didn't play much of the multiplayer at all, because Skyrim arrived mere hours after I finished the single player campaign.

Lego Harry Potter Years 5 - 7: 500 out of 1000 gamerscore. If not for the screwy water attack magic, this would definitely be my favorite Lego game. I've long since been burned out on the normal Lego games where endless enemies respawn just to annoy you during your stud collecting. The Lego Harry Potter games are different... most levels are nearly devoid of fighting. Because I like the Harry Potter franchise so much, I enjoyed just being in the world and was charmed by the Lego interpretation. This was the only game that could drag me away from Skyrim for a while. I'll definitely 100-percent this game, even though it looks like I have to replay half of it in a new save to get the "Visit Hogwarts in Year 7" achievement (I didn't think I had to make a special trip, knowing how the story end... but apparently the game thinks of Year 7 part 2 as Year 8.).

That's all I got done this month, aside from the aforementioned Skyrim marathoning. I've gathered 330 gamerpoints from that game so far. All in all, I added on 3325 gamerscore, bringing my total to 114,436.

My overall percentage still falls just shy of 32%. Only one month to go. The pressure is on! Luckily, there doesn't appear to be any new games coming out in December to throw me off, although I still have Saints Row The Third & Assassin's Creed Revelations to begin (I also am extremely eager to get a hold of Rayman Origins as well as the new Scene It game on XBLA.)
Can I get another 12,000 or so points in one month to seal the deal? Uh... now that I type that, I realize I shouldn't be wasting time typing!

No comments: