Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spending Time On Gaming News Sites...

IGN has posted pictures of the peripheral to be used with the upcoming Guitar Hero game for the Nintendo DS. Seems workable, if you can get your other hand in a comfortable position to strum the touch screen. And as long as bumping the shoulder buttons with your gripping hand won't disturb the game.

But I wonder...

There's no mention of whether this will only work with the DS Lite or not. Do they presume everyone has moved on from the DS Fat which is why they just say "the DS"? Maybe it will work on the old models. But will it work on the future ones? Rumors have been flying for months about another redesign of the DS, one to be removing the GBA port, which is precicely where this Guitar Hero peripheral plug in. Sales figures for this game may well determine the future of the DS. And if sales are really strong, Nintendo may make their redesign in a whole new direction... using their work as a jumping-off point to creating a new system. I'm still waiting for an analog stick.

There's no reason this portable Guitar Hero version shouldn't be great. Perhaps a bit easier than it's big brother, due to the fact that there's only four fret buttons. Sound quality may be a bit compressed, sure. And there probably won't be any downloadable content. Oh, and with just the four buttons, it may actually feel like you're playing a trumpet. Which might not be a bad thing. It's not too late to change direction on this game. I could go for rocking out to some Herb Alpert's Lonely Bull on my portable Brass Hero DS.


During my websurfing, I made my way over to the gameblog on UGO.com, which is more of a compilation of news from other sites than one of its own. But that's what blogs are, I suppose. It's what I do, to a lesser extent. And Wombat is more entertaining than I.

***
Before I go on, I've been wondering about website names. UGO? IGN? Sure, it's convenient, but those initials don't really explain their content to me. UGO stands for UnderGroundOnline... which still doesn't explain anything to me.

UGO's "about us" page says their a site for people with "gamer DNA"... and I think GamerDNA.com would have been a better choice. But it would have been shortened to GDNA eventually, and that would have defeated the purpose.

IGN... I'm not sure what those letters stand for. I presume it's something along the lines of "Internet Gaming Network," although that sounds like a MMO hosting site or something. Whatever it means, they've moved past initial meaning and are now just IGN, and part of a big corporation. So IGN is just nonsense now, but at least it's short. Which I suppose is everything.
***

Anyhoo, Wombat's blog post links to a post on Destructoid about a fancy new storefront for Rock Band's downloadable content. It looks nice. I especially look forward to the "preview" feature so I can hear how bad the Monkee's cover singer is before I waste my money.

I hope they left room in their new store for things other than songs. The song selection from the last couple weeks has left me unimpressed, even if I had my 360, I probably wouldn't be getting any of those songs. With this new store layout, they're in prime position to toss some additional content our way. I'm talking new outfits, new faces/body options, new venues, new guitars and perhaps something totally new... like some sort of feature to make your own videos? Be able to go through a replay and choose all your camera angles and visual effects and then save it all! You can even do that on Boogie. There's no reason that Rock Band should be upstaged by Boogie. It's Boogie, after all.

No comments: