Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DC Universe Online - So Far

My copy of DC Universe showed up this afternoon, and I eagerly put it my PS3 to get what I knew would be a massive download installed.

I sure didn't think it would take four hours to download two gigs.

It's been four hours!

And it's only 70% complete.

Good thing this game came with the first month free, because it needs it just to install the game!

The entire time, there is a single image on the screen. No music or anything entertaining during these hours. Would it have killed them to have made a slideshow of tips and instructions for you to read while you waited and waited and waited for this time to install?

And I had to delete about 10 GB of stuff off my hard drive to fit this thing. Nearly a quarter of my 80GB hard drive is being used up by this game. And that's if it doesn't ask for even more space later (it already made me add more space three separate times).

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I dislike the menu system for the PS3 when it comes to deleting files. I have to go all over to find things. In order to find the file size of each individual item, I have to select options and then information. Then I have to back out of that and then reopen the option menu to select delete.
I don't know what the bulk of my hard drive is filled with, because there is no central memory allotment table to show me how much is being used for what. So I have to pick and choose game saves and data from games I guess I just won't play until I get a bigger hard drive. And unless I writing down these files sizes, I still don't know how much I've freed up, because it doesn't just tell me how much unused space I have. Why is user-friendly so complicated a concept for Sony to grasp?

Also, I don't think my PS3 has been on this long before. And I watched a movie on it right before this mess of an install process began. 9 straight hours. Even when I play long gaming sessions, I'll turn it off my console for an hour or so every five or six hours to get something to eat.
Please don't melt, Playstation. You were expensive.

No comments: