Thursday, November 29, 2007

Rockin' Band

I haven't blogged lately because I've been quite busy... but that hasn't stopped me from playing games so that I would have stuff to blog about. I actually logged on yesterday to write a bit about Rock Band, only to discover my friend had already done so.

But I paid 170 bucks for the thing, so I'm going to add to it!

Okay, actually I traded in $110 worth of old games and used a ten percent off coupon towards the purchase... but I still paid a whole day's salary for the game.

One thing my fellow Rocker-in-arms didn't mention was the star gauge, that allows you to see how close you are to achieving the 5-star rating as you are playing the song. Or, more likely, lets you see how close you WERE to achieving it, because you were too busy staring at the notes flying at you to look away during the song. It's a nice touch, and not too distracting like the streak counter in Guitar Hero 3 that would bounce on and off the screen. But does it make up for the fact that they do not break down the stats to see where you need work? Probably not.

The guitar that comes in the Rock Band bundle is quite different. It's harder to feel your position on the frets than with the Guitar Hero controllers. They added the smaller "solo" fret buttons at the base of the neck, which work like normal buttons except during the designated guitar solos... at which time they work without strumming, which means you'll have to adjust your entire timing and press the button at the correct time rather than having it ready in advance.

The guitar also has a switcher for effects during Overdrive. But they seem mixed too low, so you can't really hear them over the rest of your band.

The GH notes have been altered from the familiar circles to small rectangles. Not a big deal, except with the hammer-ons and pull-offs... which are now just slightly smaller rectangles. They are not nearly distinct enough, unless they're right next to a normal sized note.

My biggest, and perhaps only true disappointment with the game (aside from some of the song choices... they found the one Aerosmith song I've never heard of. Gee, thanks. I'd would have much rather tried to skat my way through the ending of Rag Doll, personally.) is the drum kit configuration. It is set up like a standard electronic drum kit, with the four pads in an arch. I would like to have it in a more realistic drum set configuration, with the snare lowered & centered in front of you, and allowing you to cross your arms when playing the high hat. Perhaps have the crash cymbal pad elevated so you can really reach up and strike it with some enthusiasm. If they're going to make you actually drum in the game, they should have let you feel more like a real drummer instead of like some weenie technodrummer.

Overall, it is truly a fun game. Perhaps not as revolutionary as one might hope, but a great start. It's too bad World Tour isn't kind to newcomers (especially since everybody is pretty much a newcomer at drumming) by only offering a few locations for those playing on easy. Someday my Roman band will invade America!

***
A couple extra notes:

The guitar seems easier than on Guitar Hero. Is that intentional? I know I have more practice now, so stuff would seem easier... but compare the same songs: Chereb Rock in GH3 and Rock Band. Definitely easier in Rock Band. I still have nightmares about the alternating 3-note chords from GH3.

It is awesome to hear the crowd singing along when you're doing well. And sometimes you'll see the guitarist mouthing the words as well. Gives the game excellent atmosphere!

No comments: